Terni is surrounded by mountains overlooked by picturesque medieval villages like Stroncone, Cesi, Miranda, Collescipoli in whose church of Santa Maria is the precious organ Hermans.Over the ridge of the hills is possible to meet the charming medieval town of San Gemini. Moreover, then in Acquasparta the elegant Palazzo Cesi. Both of these cities are famous for their mineral waters. Archeological site of great importance is Carsulae, an ancient Roman city full of monuments. They are part of the city of Terni but geographically included in Valnerina. Still, we find great spectacles of nature: the "Marmore Falls”, the "Nera River Park" and "Lake Piediluco." Among the most important manifestations taking place in the city of Terni deserves a special note of the revival of folk traditions "Cantamaggio". Terni, the provincial capital, is the birthplace of St. Valentine. It is also associated with Manchester ( U.K.) it is called, "The Italian Manchester." This is due to the presence of numerous factories born in the second half of '1800. Terni name indicates, the ancient Interamna Nahartium, or the land between two rivers. Here he was born the famous writer Roman Cornelius Tacitus. Today the city conserves the nickname given to him dynamic city during the era of fascism in which modern art and contemporary structure mingle with the ancient history of the city.
Modern Art in Terni is at its best in the beautiful obelisk by Arnaldo Pomodoro known as "Spear of Light" built in 1995. Thanks to the Italian architect Mario Ridolfi (1904-1984) we have, the popular Tacitus Fountain (1932), Corso del Popolo and Largo Villa Glori. Masterpieces of painting can be admired in the Municipal Art Gallery where the Franciscan blade emerges by Piermatteo of Amelia. In the Basilica of St. Valentine are the relics of the saint, bishop of the city martyred in the third century AD, today elected worldwide patron saint of lovers. Traces of the past are in the documentation collection of archeological finds on display in the Archaeological Museum. While the Great Press steelworks ternane, which stands in front of the Railway Station, testifies the leadership of the city during the Industrial Revolution of 1800.
The history of Narni is ancient and the city owes its birth to the ancient Romans. In 299 BC, the Romans founded a colony under the name of Narnia. The first historical information about Narni dates back to 1600 BC. The territory is crossed by the ancient “Via Flaminia”, still has significant archeological sites as Ocriculum, in the town of Otricoli, and the imposing Augustus Bridge, built in 27 BC by a length of 160 m and a height of 30. One of the most beloved by poets and painters of the Grand Tour. In Narni relives intact the atmosphere of the Middle Ages with the Race of the ring and engaging in the Piazza Dei Priori, surrounded by ancient buildings. The Town Hall dated from 1275 and was built probably by Gattapone da Gubbio. During the Renaissance, the city reached its peak and was frequented by artists such as Rossellino, Ghirlandaio, Vecchietta Antoniazzo Romano and Spain. It was thanks to Ghirlandaio the altarpiece of the 'Coronation of the Virgin (1486) kept in the Council Chamber of the Town Hall. Other monuments certainly noteworthy in the historic center of the city are: Palazzo Scotti, frescoed Zuccari in 1581. Gardens of San Bernardo, from which you can admire the beautiful valley of the Black River, and from which there is also access to the crypt of San Domenico. The ancient Church of San Domenico, which today houses the library and archive of state; the Church of Santa Restituta with the adjoining convent complex; St. Augustine, the fourteenth century rich in works of art. Moreover, the Church of Santa Margherita, with an interesting cycle of frescoes attributed to Pomarancio. The mighty Rocca Albornoz dominates the promontory and is visible throughout the valley. It was built around 1370 by Ugolino of Montmartre for the commission of Albornoz and recently renovated. Along with the first Ponte d'Augusto, it is the undisputed star of the Narni landscape. The city of Narni knows how to be mysterious and can show the hidden side with a visit in his underground maze. The Narni underground stems in local tombs of the ancient convent of San Domenico, with adjoining church early Romanesque frescoes in the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries, the remains of a Roman cistern with a cell full of graffiti made by prisoners from the Inquisition. It then moves on in the basement of St. Mary Impensole: the original church of the 'eighth century, with three naves, built on the ruins of a Roman temple. Transformed into a crypt in the twelfth century still conserves two cisterns of the Roman period. Follow the dungeons of the Roman aqueduct of the "Cutter": You can make an internal path of the Tunnels of San Biagio, San Silvestro, and Monte Ippolito. Under Piazza Garibaldi is also finally a large tank called Lacus early Middle Ages, with stone vaults and remnants of tanning opus spicatum floor.
The District of Amelia (Amerino), extends its territory through Terni territory in the South Basin and Orvieto land in the North. The landscape is characterized by morphological very different situations with magnificent views ranging from the fertile flood plain of the hill to the forest area of forests. Nature finds moments of elation in the Oasis of Alviano, in the Tiber River Park, which shares with the territory of Orvieto, in the Park and the Rio Grande. The forests are full of oak trees, oak, English oak and hornbeam. To the north, in the area of the municipality of Avigliano Umbro, there are hundreds of hectares of chestnut trees. The flora of the undergrowth is rich, among other things, of many species of ferns, wild orchids (protected), strawberries and mushrooms. Campaigns and forests are marked by numerous paths that trace interesting paths for trekkers on foot or horseback. The Parks of San Silvestro (Fornole), Cavallerizza (Amelia) and dell'Aiola (Guardea) offer, in the woods, open spaces for pleasant stops and birdwatching. The area is enriched by many small towns (Jupiter, Penna in Teverina, Alviano, Attigliano, Lugnano, Montecastrilli, Toscolano, Collicello, Santa Restituta, Sismano, Castel Aquila), all intact in their medieval atmosphere and concrete remains towers, castles, and ancient walls. The ancient Italic peoples and then the Romans, who inhabited this part of the province, have left significant and meaningful examples. Spectacular are the polygonal walls of Amelia. Expression of hydraulic engineering of the Romans are the tanks. A remarkable example of the art of this civilization is the beautiful statue of Germanicus placed in the local Archaeological Museum. As part of archeology fits the fossil forest Dunarobba, a paleontological site of the most famous in the world. The art finds moments of true greatness in the refined Collegiate of Lugnano. We should not forget the Castle of Alviano and the Civic Tower of Amelia, beautiful examples of architecture. Gastronomy plays a role of primary importance: the game, the palombe in leccarda way, figs stuffed with ancient tradition, the excellence of local cuisine. Traditional festivals and folk refer to the traditions of the Middle Ages as the Palio of the Doves and the Reenactment of the Statutes Amerini Amelia.